March 27, 2011

Media Manic and the age of the anti-blogger

I started this blog because I really need to start writing again, about anything really. The problem is trying to figure out what it is that I want to spill out onto this screen here in front of me. It's not like I don't have enough to talk about, or that I am not up on the latest news, or don't have time to sit down and bang them out. My problem is that by the time I am ready to sit down and write something about a subject I feel that I have been beaten to it or it has already become irrelevant. Or I have trouble organizing my thoughts into a work that makes sense.

For instance I was recently in austin visting friends and trying to do SXSW with no badge (worked out perfectly) by the time I got back to The Burg I was so exhausted that the last thing I wanted to do was write some completely unorganized post about how I ran around, drank free beer, and saw and insane amount of good music that I have never herd of. I feel my coverage of my trip on twitter and Tumblr was sufficient enough to anyone that really cared. 

I'm starting to realize that there was no real reason for me not to write the post. Even if there are thousands of posts already out there about the same thing. The simple exorcize of me writing it would have been good for me, and an interesting thing for my readers. 

I'm started to realize tough that this manic media consumption that I am living is really hindering me as a write and producer of content. I sometimes forget that not a lot of people are as insane about news feeds, twitter, and general blog trolling as I am. Just because I saw 10 articles on the same subject does not mean that my readers have. I'm coming to the conciliation that I am not taking into account who my readers are at the moment or who I really want them to be. 

Years ago when I was in high-school I kept a blog that I posted on obsessively. It was more of a journal of things I did day to day than really opinion pieces and what not. It was a lot easier to sit down and to write about what was going on in my life rather than to do research, and organise my posts into somewhat journalistically sound pieces of work. Time have changed tough. I feel if people really want to know what I am doing, where I am, who I'm hanging out with and see the pictures I take, they already are. A blog is not really the place for them to find it. 

So what should I be writing about? Do I data mine, and if so should I just spit out the info I find or put my own spin on it? Do I write opinion pieces with quotes form other articles and well research subjects. It's hard to figure out what to do. The bottom line is I need to stop worrying about how I am going to write or what I am going to write and just sit down and blast out some work. If it sucks I don't always have to publish it. 

3 comments:

  1. You know what I like most about you? That your second word in your blog entry is a typo. Good thing you got the I right :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I like this post:

    You create good material for community.

    Please keep posting.

    Let me introduce other material that may be good for net community.

    Source: Gym teacher interview questions

    Best rgs
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous posting is encouraged but not preferred